The City of Brentwood is broken:
Only the residents can fix it.
- The city is attempting to change the organizational structure of our city via the proposed employee manual. The manual is not in compliance with our code (laws). Alderwoman Saunders has asked repeatedly for City Administrator Akande and Ways and Means Committee Chairman, Alderman Kramer, to bring the manual into compliance and nothing has happened. The new structure will give Akande and future city administrators even more power than former city administrator Chris Seemayer. The mayor and senior board members stated the city’s troubles occurred because Seemayer had too much power. Now they want to give the administrator even more power! Does this make sense?
- Alderman Kramer, City Attorney Albrecht, and City Administrator Akande are bringing the healthcare benefits for elected officials forward again possibly at the Monday Aug 20th BOA meeting, even though they received no direction from the Board to do so. This information was newly received on Friday Aug 17. Why is this?
- City Administrator Akande, proposed we use the same private auditor, Hochschild Bloom & Company, who has been performing the city audits for years passed. These auditors were blamed for past mistakes but nevertheless, Akande wants to continue to use them going forward. She stated it would be easier for the staff. Yikes!
- In 2008 -2010 a new employee manual was written. The Board was told repeatedly at the Ways and Means Committee meetings that it existed. When Alderwoman Saunders asked City Administrator Akande for a copy, she stated she threw it out. Throwing out of the manual was brought up at two meetings in which Akande never denied it. She then sent out an email stating she misspoke and that there never was a manual, it was just a draft and an outline. Is this professional?
- Since the May Board of Aldermen meeting, Alderwoman Saunders, along with Alderwoman Manestar, have been requesting a follow up survey regarding the recreation center. A simple survey out to the residents that bridges the time gap between the 2008 survey and what is being considered now. This request has been met with much opposition. Finally Alderman Leahy got on board by requesting such a survey and the Public Works Committee was able to move it to the Board. However, Alderman Robertson is now suggesting we sell city hall and Alderman Leahy agrees with him. The city sold land to TGI Fridays, which is now Fifth Third Bank. This area was supposed to be part of our town hall center. Why did the city need the money back then? And why would we want to sell off more land, especially city hall? The developments we have should be rolling in the dough according to past promises.
- Public Safety Chairman, Alderman Wynn, has requested that city staff develop a “citizen request/comment card” which is currently being used at the public safety meetings. Any Brentwood citizen who would like to make a comment at a public safety meeting would be required to put it in writing. Their question or comment would then be addressed at the next meeting the following month. It is now being suggested these comment cards be used at the Board of Aldermen meetings as well. Do you agree with this new practice?
- Why didn’t the Mayor and former Board of Aldermen file a civil lawsuit against Chris Seemayer? He walked away with his benefits and cost the city far more than the $30,000 he embezzled by looking the other way and allowing others to misuse our funds. Seemayer approved the firemen’s unearned overtime, the elected officials’ health benefits, the T-Mobile phones, charitable contributions with city funds, use of city credit cards, and the list goes on. If you want to recover hundreds of thousands of your tax dollars, demand the city file a civil lawsuit against Chris Seemayer.
There is an agenda and the entire board is NOT setting it. If you want control of your city, come to the Board of Alderman meetings and go to the podium and demand your aldermen listen to you.
Hope to see you!
Monday, August 20, 2012 at City Hall
6:00pm Recreation Center discussion
7:00pm Board of Alderman meeting
If you would like to keep up to date with what is going on at city hall, please send an email or call with your contact information :
email@example.com (concerned residents working together / Call Julie and Jim Pozzo 314-962-3004)
firstname.lastname@example.org (Informational updates from Alderwoman Saunders /Call 314-961-0377)
email@example.com (Informational updates from Alderwoman Manestar / Call 314-629-9354)