Anti-QuikTrip relocation organizers met Saturday morning to assemble 50 yard signs to build awareness for their cause.
On July 2 the Maplewood Planning and Zoning Commission voted to approve QuikTrip request to move its Maplewood location at 3010 S Big Bend Boulevard to the northwest corner of Big Bend and Manchester Road.
The city council will hear public comments at the Aug. 14 meeting. The council is also scheduled to hear the first reading of the proposal.
A group is working against the relocation on the grounds that it would make the intersection more dangerous for Maplewood Richmond Heights students to cross the intersection.
QuikTrip has a petition with 458 Maplewood signatures promoting the move, according to Jeff Kiefer, who is working against the relocation. He said the 507 signatures the presented at the planning and zooming meeting was reduced after validation.
His goal signature goal is to “blow away QuikTrip.”
“We know we’ll beat it but we’d like to beat it by more,” Kiefer said.
Kiefer said they plan to walk the neighborhoods and spread awareness Saturday and Sunday.
He said the group will try to coordinate their message at the city council meeting on Tuesday. He also said there will be challenge getting people to come.
“It’s a tough one; it’s high school open house night,” he said. “My daughter will understand me not being there trying to keep her safe.”
“Exactly,” Tonya Powell said, as she helped put together a sign.
Read more about this in Patch:
- QuikTrip Gains Preliminary Approval Amid Residential Opposition
- Study Assesses Traffic Volume and Pedestrian Safety at Proposed QuikTrip
- Maplewood Releases QuikTrip Status Statement
- QuikTrip to Request Zoning Change
- MRH School Board Protests QuikTrip Move
- Petitions For, Against QuikTrip Move Gain Signatures
See More on Patch
- Maplewood Council, School Board Agree on QuikTrip Changes
- QuikTrip: There's Interest in Current Maplewood Location, Waits on Richmond Heights Store
- Proposition Q Passes By More Than 2:1 Margin
- What Businesses Would You Like to See Come to Maplewood?
- Election 2013: What's on the Ballot in Maplewood-Brentwood?
Most Popular articles
- Bridge From Maplewood to South City Almost Complete
- Vandals Throw Pots of Plants and Furniture Into Brentwood Swim Club Pool
- Why Has Ray's Donuts Been Closed The Last Few Days?
- Video Camera Catches Suspect in BMW Break-In in Brentwood Wednesday Night
- Robert Dillon, Former MRH Principal, Organizes Local Sustainability Event