This is Disbennett's letter:
Dear Brentwood Business,
As many of you may know, in the last several months the Brentwood area has seen a rash of crimes that is unprecedented in our recent history. Car break-in’s on our parking lots and garages, and in our neighborhoods have been a serious problem. However, the glaring concern of our Department has been the amount of confrontations with our citizens and visitors to Brentwood, some involving weapons and physical violence.
This past Sunday, a woman was sitting in her car on the lot of Brentwood Square, eating her lunch on a comfortable, sunny day. She was approached by two men, who displayed a handgun, and forced their way into her car. She was told to drive to a nearby ATM machine, where she withdrew cash for the men. She was then told to return to Brentwood Square, where the two men left the victim’s car and fled on foot.
During our investigation, we discovered that an employee of a business in the area had seen the two men acting suspiciously, but did not report it to the police, for fear of being improper. Needless to say, had the suspicious activity been reported, a serious crime could have been averted.
The Brentwood Police Department is asking you and your employees to join with us in fighting this recent rash of crimes. We are stepping up patrols in the business areas. You will see an increase in the amount of our black and white police cars on your lots. We need your help in reporting any suspicious activity. Be a good witness and get as much information on the person(s) and any vehicles involved. Call us at 644-7100.
The members of our Police Department care about the well-being of the Brentwood community. We take crime in Brentwood personally. We are going to do our part, and we are asking that you join us. Please encourage your employees to be alert, observant, and to call us when we need to be called.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to call us at any time. We are open 24/7.
Chief Steve Disbennett
Brentwood Police Department
Read in about recent Brentwood crimes in Patch:
- Kidnapping, Robbery Reported at Brentwood Square
- Brentwood Police: Thefts From Cars on York and Musick Drives
- Multiple Car Break-Ins in Brentwood; Police Blotter
- Dead Animal Found on Brentwood Back Porch, 3 Shoplifters Arrested
- Two Thefts at Promenade, Party on W. Swan Prompts Two Police Visits: Brentwood Police Report
- Man Charged with Robberies at Promenade and Shane Co. in Brentwood
- Woman Allegedly Robbed Outside Shane Co., Suspect in Custody
See More on Patch
Most Popular articles
- Why Has Ray's Donuts Been Closed The Last Few Days?
- Las Palmas Wins Best Taste of Maplewood, Kakao, Pie Oh My and Tiffany's Diner Winners Too
- Taste of Maplewood Vendor List and Music Schedule: It's Saturday
- Brentwood Pitching Wins District Final over MRH
- Peeping Tom Exposed Himself, Maplewood Police Say