UPDATE: Dr. Tony Arnold Named 2012 Exemplary New Principal of the Year
He leads Maplewood Richmond Heights Elementary School in Richmond Heights.
Dr. Tony Arnold has been named 2012 Exemplary New Principal of the Year for the St. Louis Suburban District of the Missouri Association of Elementary School Principals (MAESP).
Arnold is principal of Maplewood Richmond Heights Elementary School, located in Richmond Heights. He is in his second year at the school.
"He just shines," said Dr. Diane Metz, president of the St. Louis principals group and principal of Babler Elementary School. She and Principal Connie Browning of Uthoff Valley Elementary School nominated Arnold for the award on behalf of the group's executive board.
They chose him from a pool of five nominees. Arnold demonstrated passion and enthusiasm by reaching out to the organization, asking how he could get involved and hosting a group meeting, Metz said.
"He was such an initiator," she said.
The nominating form states that candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Be a practicing principal in his/her second or third year of employment as a principal.
- Have never served as a principal in another state or in a private school.
- Have made a measurable contribution to the school district in which he/she serves as verified by a minimum of two principals from his/her MAESP district and the honoree’s superintendent or immediate supervisor.
- Be respected by students, colleagues, parents and the community at large.
- Be a member of MAESP (and hopefully of NAESP) at the time of nomination for recognition.
- Show strong educational leadership by setting high expectations for school staff and students.
- Maintain an orderly, purposeful learning environment.
- Attend the Monday night banquet at Spring Conference March 12, 2012 at Tan-Tar-A to receive recognition.
Arnold will be among the candidates for Missouri-wide exemplary new principal at the spring conference, Metz said.