Gina Mitten Wins State Rep Primary in 83rd District
Mitten celebrated with her supporters at Las Palmas in Maplewood on Tuesday evening. The 83rd District includes all or parts of Maplewood, Richmond Heights, Brentwood, Rock Hill, Webster Groves and south St. Louis.
Gina Mitten won the Democratic primary on Tuesday, and is on her way to becoming state representative in the 83rd District.
Mitten, who defeated fellow Democrat James Trout, is all but guaranteed a seat in the Missouri General Assembly following the general election in November. No Republican has filed to run in the district.
Mitten tallied 1,692 votes to Trout's 977, according to the unofficial results posted on St. Louis County's website.
Mitten, 48, celebrated with family and friends at an election-night watch party at Las Palmas in Maplewood.
"The voters understand and recognize that running a positive, ethical, clean, legal campaign is what they really want and expect from their leaders," Mitten said. "My thoughts on representing (my future constuents) are the same as the campaign."
The 83rd District includes all or parts of Maplewood, Richmond Heights, Brentwood, Rock Hill, Webster Groves and south St. Louis.
Mitten has been a city council member in Richmond Heights for eight years. She is an associate with Gary M. Siegel, LLC, which is part of the St. Louis Lawyer's Group in Clayton.
As she looks ahead to working in Jefferson City, Mitten emphasized the importance of compromising with other elected officials.
"It's important that we have leaders who can look at issues, reach out, and try and work out what we can, and be strong advocates for the issues that we don't agree on," she said.
For now, however, Mitten said she plans to take a vacation. "It's been a long summer," she said. I plan to spend some time with my son, who I have not seen, and to get some sleep."
Calls to Trout were not immediately returned on Tuesday evening.
Read related on Patch:
See More on Patch
- Absentee Election Results Are In For Proposition K For Brentwood Schools
- Election Results for QuikTrip Vote and Proposition K, Maplewood Mayor and Council Races
- Proposed Tax Increase in Brentwood Schools Draws Financial Support from Community
- What Businesses Would You Like to See Come to Maplewood?
- Election 2013: What's on the Ballot in Maplewood-Brentwood?
Most Popular articles
- Why Has Ray's Donuts Been Closed The Last Few Days?
- Las Palmas Wins Best Taste of Maplewood, Kakao, Pie Oh My and Tiffany's Diner Winners Too
- Taste of Maplewood Vendor List and Music Schedule: It's Saturday
- 3 Fire Departments Visit MRH ECC for Smell of Smoke
- Men Smashed Window, Stole $1,045 in Cigarettes From Gas Station, Police Say