Superintendent Thanks Community for Support at Rally, Have a Favorite Sign?
When Westboro Baptist Church came to Maplewood Richmond Heights they were met with opposition. Superintendent Karen Hall thanked the community for the support.
Maplewood Richmond Heights superintendent Karen Hall thanked the community for coming out in the hundreds to support the high school play, The Laramie Project, on the school district website on Monday.
"On behalf of the Maplewood Richmond Heights School District, I want to thank you for the tremendous amount of support you showed our district this weekend. By sending emails of encouragement, making phone calls of support, coming to our rally, and attending the play, you showed that we will not allow hate in our community, nor allow our students to be bullied."
A group from Westboro Baptist Church picketed the play with signs expressing hate for Mathew Shepard, the subject of the play, and for gays in general.
A crowd came out to support the play and oppose the Westboro group. Many showed their feelings with signs. Do you have a favorite?
Also on Patch:
- Westboro Baptist Church Picket Met with Counter-Rally of Hundreds at MRH
- Maplewood Police Chief: Westboro Baptist Church Has Right to Peaceful Protest
- Local Clergy Strongly Disagree With Westboro Baptist Message, Methods
- MRH Will Respond to Westboro Baptist Church Picket
- Laramie Project Opens at MRH, Westboro Baptist to Picket on Saturday
- Westboro Baptist to Picket MRH Play on Homosexuality and Tolerance