Menus change with the seasons. As the weather continues to warm up, more and more ingredients become available to the many creative minds in kitchens across Maplewood and Brentwood.
This week's Patch Picks are designed to help you enjoy your local restaurant scene to the fullest. Maybe you have a favorite restaurant you haven't tried in awhile, but now they have a new menu item. There's no time like the present, so get out there and get eating.
Patch Picks: Five Unique Restaurant Menu Items
- Grana Padano — One of the world's first hard cheeses, created by Cistercian monks in Italy. Similar to Parmegiano-Reggiano, this cheese can be found in a mixed greens salad with citrus vinaigrette at Acero.
- Okra and purple hull peas — This item will arrive at Monarch when chefs Josh Galliano and Ricky Lewis complete their new garden at the restaurant. Purple hull peas and okra are popular ingredients in Louisiana, where Galliano has trained.
- Gorgonzola mousse — Paired with cucumber and pancetta at Maplewood's brand-new Water Street Cafe. Gorgonzola mousse is a decadent item, pureed smooth and folded with whipped heavy cream.
- Vietnamese goat soup — Mai Lee serves this unique Fire Pot soup, known as Lau De. Also choose from spicy options like Ga Xao Ot: chicken stir fried with hot chili, garlic and lemongrass.
- Poblano dressing with barbecue sauce — This might sound like a strange combination, but the spicy flavors with the sweet and smoky work wonders in a chicken wrap at Camille's Sidewalk Cafe. The fusion-style wrap also includes interesting additions like jasmine rice, black beans and cilantro.