“Anytime you can win a football game 33-2, and our guys feel as if they lost, that’s a good thing, because they know what we’re capable of, they have yet to realize it,” MRH head coach Rich Nixon said.
- See more game photos on Maplewood-Brentwood Patch Facebook (Like it!)
- See photos of fans getting soaked (and some enjoying it) on Maplewood-Brentwood Patch Facebook (Like it!)
Rain from the remains of Hurricane Isaac made it just wet enough encourage three fumbles for each team, an errant MRH punt, and the ball to slip through MRH quarterback Kahlid Hagens’ hands to give Brentwood a safety.
Brentwood was in scoring position three times but was stopped on every opportunity.
“I thought we’d fight a little harder. I just didn’t see this many gunshots to the foot,” Bentwood head coach Keith Herring said. “I would think that these conditions would help us out. I’m extremely disappointed,” he said.
MRH scored four times in the first half: twice on runs by sophomore Elijah Keely, a run by senior quarterback Kahlid Hagens and a Hagens pass to junior Court Brooks.
In spite of a 26-2 halftime lead, MRH coach Nixon wasn’t happy.
“What we saw in that first half was unacceptable,” he said. “We’re making far too many mistakes, and some of them are now the same mistakes two weeks in a row, and that’s just not how we operate.”
MRH scored once in the second half on a Hagens pass to Brooks. Their last three possessions ended in fumbles.
The Eagles go to Clopton next week, and Herring plans to regroup.
“We’re going to get better every week and hopefully we’ll see these guys (MRH) at the end of the year,” he said.
Nixon said he challenged the team at halftime to take it to the next level. He said they collectively said, “Yes, sir.”
We’ll see what that means when MRH has their home opener next week against Ste. Genevieve.
Also read on Patch:
See More on Patch
Most Popular articles
- Why Has Ray's Donuts Been Closed The Last Few Days?
- Las Palmas Wins Best Taste of Maplewood, Kakao, Pie Oh My and Tiffany's Diner Winners Too
- Taste of Maplewood Vendor List and Music Schedule: It's Saturday
- Brentwood Pitching Wins District Final over MRH
- Peeping Tom Exposed Himself, Maplewood Police Say