Russ Carnahan Makes World Series Bet With Texas Lawmaker
The wager was made ahead of tonight's Game 6 matchup between the St. Louis Cardinals and Texas Rangers.
There have been a lot of bets between folks in Missouri and Texas over the outcome of the World Series. But the wager between Rep. Russ Carnahan (D-St. Louis) and Rep. Henry Cuellar (D-Texas) may take the cake.
The two lawmakers announced Tuesday they will each wager 11 items on the final outcome of the World Series. The Texas Rangers are leading the St. Louis Cardinals 3-2. They play Game 6 tonight at Busch Stadium.
“The Cardinals need to win 11 games this postseason to become world champions for the 11th time in history,” Carnahan said in a statement. “In honor of the 2011 St. Louis Cardinals, I’m wagering 11 items of importance to St. Louisans with my friend Henry Cuellar. May the best team win.”
If the Rangers wins, Carnahan must fork over:
- A pack of assorted Anheuser-Busch products
- Wine “made in beautiful Ste. Genevieve”
- Fitz’s Root Beer
- Toasted ravioli from The Pasta House
- Honey from the beehives at Maplewood Richmond Heights School Dsitrcit
- Missouri barbecue from Pappy’s
- Ted Drewes frozen custard
- Kakao Chocolate
- A musical recording from St. Louis native Chuck Berry
- Moses Austin and Stephen F. Austin, a book by Betsy Warren about native Missourians Moses and Stephen Austin, who founded the state of Texas
- A championship Build-a-Bear wearing a St. Louis Cardinals uniform
But if the Cardinals emulate the Rally Squirrel and stage a comeback, Cuellar must provide Carnahan with:
- Bill Miller Bar-B-Q
- A Texas Rangers T-shirt
- A pack of Shiner Beer
- A pack of Dr Pepper from Dublin, TX, made with sugarcane
- Cowboy hat from Pleasanton, TX
- The Guenther House assorted gifts
- Mexican food from Taco Palenque
- CD from Intocable from Zapata, TX
- CD from Selena y Los Dinos from Corpus Christi, TX
- Pecan pralines from San Antonio
- Strawberry Poteet wine from Poteet, TX
“I stand by the Texas Rangers and am hopeful they will bring the win to the Lone Star State,” Cuellar said in a statement. “As has Congressman Carnahan, I too have prepared an assortment of Texas goods and products to be delivered to him. I wish both teams the best of luck.”
The bet between Carnahan and Cuellar seems to top others seen so far, including the one between Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon and Texas Gov. Rick Perry. You can see a full list of bets courtesy of KWMU by clicking here.