Invite a friend
Maplewood Library Book Club
The next selection for the Maplewood Public Library Book Club is Room by Emma Donoghue
Here's a summary by GoodReads.com:
"To five-year-old Jack, Room is the entire world. It is where he was born and grew up; it's where he lives with his Ma as they learn and read and eat and sleep and play. At night, his Ma shuts him safely in the wardrobe, where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits."
"Room is home to Jack, but to Ma, it is the prison where Old Nick has held her captive for seven years. Through determination, ingenuity, and fierce motherly love, Ma has created a life for Jack. But she knows it's not enough...not for her or for him. She devises a bold escape plan, one that relies on her young son's bravery and a lot of luck. What she does not realize is just how unprepared she is for the plan to actually work."
"Told entirely in the language of the energetic, pragmatic five-year-old Jack, ROOM is a celebration of resilience and the limitless bond between parent and child, a brilliantly executed novel about what it means to journey from one world to another" (by GoodReads.com)
For more info contact:
Program Director, Maplewood Public Library
Maplewood, Mo. 63143
More About Maplewood Public Library
The Maplewood Public Library opened the doors at this new location behind the aquatic center in 2007. Before the move, the library housed its collection in the city hall building. The new building—the former community center—allowed the library to add meeting rooms, and it offers more space for public computer access. Browse the Internet on one of the library's 12 computers, take a book into the reading room or venture downstairs to the children's library. As the tag line reads, the library has "Great service in a great space."
Other events here
- Groundbreaking 2012 Adult Summer Reading Program Daily,
- Knitting with Yvonne Weekly on Mondays, 7:00 pm–8:30 pm
- Raising Backyard Chickens Thu, May 30, 6:30 pm–8:00 pm
- Knitting with Yvonne Weekly on Fridays, 10:00 am–12:00 pm
- Hieroglyphics 101 Thu, Jun 6, 7:00 pm–8:30 pm
- Maplewood Library Monthly Book Club November 8, 2012 / December 13, 2012 / January 10, 2013 / February 14, 2013 / March 14, 2013 / April 11, 2013 / May 9, 2013 / June 13, 2013 / July 11, 2013 / August 8, 2013 / September 12, 2013 / October 10, 2013 / November 14, 2013 / December 12, 2013, 7:00 pm–8:30 pm
- Draw-In: Outside the Lines January 15, 2013 / February 19, 2013 / March 19, 2013 / April 16, 2013 / May 21, 2013 / June 18, 2013 / July 16, 2013 / August 20, 2013, 6:00 pm–8:30 pm
- Maplewood Library Writer's Group August 16, 2012 / September 20, 2012 / October 18, 2012 / November 15, 2012 / December 20, 2012 / January 17, 2013 / February 21, 2013 / March 21, 2013 / April 18, 2013 / May 16, 2013 / June 20, 2013, 7:00 pm–9:00 pm
- The Dirt on Backyard Composting Thu, Jun 20, 7:00 pm–8:00 pm
- Mighty Cahokia: America's First City Thu, Jun 27, 7:00 pm–8:00 pm