Welcome to a new weekly feature called Patch Picks, where we highlight editor and reader picks of great local businesses, destinations, services, organizations, ways to spend a day off, and more.
You'll find useful lists to help you, your family, friends, and significant others find the best places for everything from Sunday brunch to New Year's Eve celebrations, pumpkin patches, date night destinations, florists, girlfriend nights out, kids party places, parks and more. Want to suggest a list? Submit your idea in the comment box.
Patch Picks: Five Awesome Nonprofit Organizations
- Girls on the Run — Dedicated to promoting self-respect and healthy living for girls in third through eighth grade, Girls on the Run trains participants for a 3.1 mile run in combination with motivating workouts that help them realize their full potential as they grow into young adults.
- Nurses for Newborns — This foundation aids at-risk families to stop infant mortalities, child abuse and neglect while promoting education and positive parenting.
- — The nation's largest veteran's service organization has posts in Brentwood, Maplewood and across the country. The American Legion serves to mentor and promote youth in local communities and advocate honor and patriotism.
- — The Brentwood and Maplewood Lions Clubs are local volunteer branches under an international umbrella. Members give their time for service projects that focus on topics like preserving eyesight and supporting local food pantries.
- Maplewood Kiwanis Club — This organization has a Maplewood branch and seeks to help children via projects like eliminating iodine deficiency disorders that can lead to mental disabilities.