Smoke pouring from windows of an apartment building around 2:15 p.m. Sunday in the 2800 block of Laclede Station Road brought fire fighters from Maplewood and other departments.
Maplewood Chief Terry Merrell said an object burning on a stovetop in a vacant apartment caused the smoke. Firefighters opened doors and windows and blew the smoke out with a fan.
He said no one was injured, and all the residents returned to their apartments that day.
Merrell called it odd that something was found burning in a vacant apartment. He said because of the suspicious nature of the fire the St. Louis Regional Arson Investigation Team will investigate, and Maplewood Police detectives will follow up.