Food trucks will likely be voted on at the next Maplewood City Council meeting.
It looked like a dead issue earlier in the year, but it appeared on the Sept. 11 agenda to be discussed, which resulted in the idea of a trial period.
At the Sept. 25 meeting, owner the Maplewood restaurant, The Post, Adrian Glass, spoke to the council on behalf of the Maplewood Chamber of Commerce.
“We don’t believe it will bring business to the community,” he said. “We feel it will gravely impact a lot of the restaurants in Maplewood.” But he said he appreciates the idea of a trial period.
He suggested they first gather sales data for six to 12 months, then compare that with sales during the trial period.
Councilman Barry Greenberg (Ward 3) said he doesn't think it's urgent to start a trial period.
“I have no problem with waiting, so at the end of the process we feel like we’ve made an informed decision,” he said.
Councilman Tim Dunn (Ward 2) disagreed.
“Why are we extending this debate?” he said. “It could be a great success or a great failure. Lets do it.
“The citizens said they love food trucks,” Dunn said. “We don’t put off fixing the streets if the citizens say they want better streets.”
He said if it turns out to be a bad idea they’ll find out and can tell the citizens why.
The council will use citizens’ comments and sales data from restaurants during the trial period compared to the same period the previous year to evaluate the trial.
City Manager Marty Corcoran said he could have an ordinance for the council to vote on at the Oct. 9 meeting. If it passes, food trucks could operate in Maplewood by November.
Read recent Patch articles on food trucks in Maplewood:
- Food Truck Owners Speak Out at Maplewood Council
- Food Truck Bans: Good or Bad for Business?
- Food Trucks in Maplewood: Council Member Says Events Might be the Right Place