Schlafly has been a St. Louis staple since it brewed its first batch of beer in 1991. When they decided to expand their operations, an abandoned grocery store in Maplewood seemed the perfect spot. With the help of local architects, Schlafly remodeled the building to accommodate the microbrewery, bottleworks and restaurant, and opened its doors in spring of 2003.
Schlafly Bottleworks has since become a big part of the Maplewood community, supporting local businesses whenever possible and even hosting the local farmer's market every Wednesday. Brewery tours are available Friday through Sunday, and the restaurant features live music every Thursday through Saturday night from 9 to midnight. See the music schedule for details.
Schlafly's regular beers, available year-round on tap and in bottles, include Pale Ale, Hefeweizen, Kolsch, Oatmeal Stout, APA and Pilsner. Seasonal brews are available at different times throughout the year, as are special releases such as the Irish Stout, Pumpkin Ale and Christmas Ale. See the website for details and release dates.
The Bottleworks restaurant serves dishes prepared with locally produced foods and meats, from local farms and businesses such as Ozark Forest Mushrooms, Rensings Hog Farm, St. Louis Tortilla Co., Seven Thunder Bison and Serendipity Ice Cream. Produce, including tomatoes, salad greens and other vegetables, is grown on-site in a garden on the east side of the building. The garden is fertilized with compost and manure from local farmers, as well table scraps from the restaurant.
- Hours: Bar hours: Mon, Tue, 11am - 11pm; Wed - Sat, 11am - midnight; Sun, 11am - 10pm. Restaurant hours: Sun - Tue, 11am - 9pm; Wed, Thu, 11am - 10pm; Fri, Sat, 11am - 11pm. Brewery tours: Fri - Sun, noon - 5pm, on the hour.
- Handicap Accessible: Yes
- Founding Date: The Maplewood bottleworks opened in 2003, but Schlafly has been brewing in St. Louis since 1991.
- Payments accepted: American Express, Cash, Debit Card, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Products: Beer brewed on-site, dishes prepared using locally produced foods and produce grown on-site.
- Food & dining options: Natural, Organic, Vegetarian
- General services: Catering, Eat-in, Prepared foods
- Menu link: www.schlafly.com/bottleworks.menu.shtml
- Specialties: Schlafly beer, brewed on-site. Regular beers, available year-round, include Pale Ale, Pilsner, Hefeweizen, Oatmeal Stout and Wheat Ale. Seasonal brews and special releases are available at different times throughout the year.
- Parking: Free lot
- Private events: Yes
- Cuisine: American, Burgers, Pizza, Sandwiches, Vegetarian/Vegan
- Price level: $$
- Reservations: Accepted
- Features: Banquets, Brunch, Catering, Dinner, Group-friendly, Kids' Menu, Live Entertainment, Lunch, Outdoor seating, Private Parties
- Dress code: Casual
- Cover charge: No
- Features: Live music, Outdoor seating, Private parties, Private room
- Food/drink: Yes
- Alcohol served: Yes
- Bar type: Brewery, Live Music
- Bar Specialties: Beer
- Beer Types: Microbrew